At Fishponds CE Academy, Science is taught following the national curriculum, with progression in working scientifically skills across the curriculum.
- Children are taught a Science unit each term. Working scientifically skills are woven within this.
- Science units are organised to enable children to make links with other areas of the curriculum, such as their Topic.
- Progressive working scientifically skills and vocabulary are used across the school to ensure consistency and progression. Lessons will focus on one specific working scientifically skill and this will be shared with the children.
- Children will cover a variety of scientific enquiry approaches throughout the year. These include: observing over time; pattern seeking; identifying, classifying and grouping; comparative and fair testing; and researching using secondary sources.
- Knowledge organisers are used for self-assessment and revision of each unit. This supports the children in embedding their scientific knowledge.
- Vocabulary-rich displays and lesson resources support children in developing their scientific and technical language.
- Children are provided with opportunities to apply their English and Maths skills in their Science lessons.
- A whole school Science Day is held once a year. This provides extra opportunities for children to engage in exciting Science activities and be inspired by external visitors.